People lie for multiple reasons. They lie to get out of trouble, appear to be something they are not, get out of plans, make their friends feel better about themselves, etc.
- “It wasn’t me.”
- “Oh yea, I’ve totally done that.”
- “I can’t today. I have homework.”
- “Your hair looks great!!”
When you lie to others you’re also lying to yourself. When you lie to yourself you’re also lying to God and damaging that relationship. Also, over time your truth will become distorted in your mind. This can also include your faith and the truth behind it.
So, what does the Bible have to say about lying?
- “Put away falsehood and speak the truth for we are members of one another.” Ephesians 4:25
- “The lord detests lying lips, but he delights in people who are trustworthy.” Proverbs 12:22
- “In fact, everyone who wants to live a godly life in Christ Jesus will be persecuted, while evil doers and impostors will go from bad to worse, deceiving and being deceived.” 2 Timothy 3:12-13
- “Do not lie to one another, seeing that you have put off the old self with its practices…” Colossians 3:9
You cannot have control over what other people say but you can with what you say. Trust that God will reward you for telling the truth even when you’re scared for what may happen in the moment. In the long run your life will be better.
P.S. Here are some funny lies I have seen/heard over the years.
- “My mom was engaged to a prince.”
- “I was born on a desert and raised by lions.”
- “I’m dating an NBA player.”
- “That’s not an ice cream truck. It’s a music truck.”